In our first years of fund-raising money was allocated to research projects undertaken by Dr. Robert Muir into early diagnosis and treatment. Research was also undertaken by consultant pathologist Dr. Liz Mallon into HER2 an important factor in the subsequent treatment of tumours. Over the years Breast Cancer 2000 donations have funded the purchase of:
- a state of the art electron microscope for use in the pathology lab
- digital cameras used in training facilities for new doctors
- £100,000 for equipment for a new PET scanning procedure
- in 2007 £135,000 was donated for the purchase of a large volume biopsy device for faster diagnosis
- a portable ultrasonic detection unit
- a digital specimen radiography system used in pathology and radiology
- in 2010, £8000 was donated to the Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Centre to provide large screen televisions for patients’ waiting areas and £30,000 to fund a dedicated Breast Care Nurse
- a donation of £75,000 to the Beatson in 2013 has fully funded a three-year research programme into the effects of nail damage caused by Taxane chemotherapy. Due to the success of this research project a further £20,000 has been donated in 2016 to continue this research.
- recent purchases have included a £5,000 localisation chair for biopsies in the x-ray department
With your help, we are making a difference, adding to excellent care provided by the world leading facilities we have at the Western and Beatson West of Scotland Cancer Care Centre. We are appreciative of being selected for your support and your assistance in helping Breast Cancer 2000 attain our target of ”making the million”.
Without sponsors and donations none of this would be possible, we are most grateful to all of our loyal supporters.